What You'll Study
A degree in political science prepares you for a multitude of career options by giving you a diverse and thorough background in the most pressing social, political, and economic issues of our day. Pair that knowledge with a firm grasp of communication and analytic skills, and you’ll enter the world ready to take on the boardroom, courtroom, campaign trail, and more.
Topics covered include:
- American National Government
- World Politics
- Public Policy
This concentration includes courses that will develop your skills and aptitude in areas likely to contribute to success in law school.
Topics covered include:
- Law and Society
- Media and Politics
- Constitutional Law
- Internships: Internships are an integral piece of the political science degree. At LHU you’ll
have the ability to compete for well-renowned placements. Internships in Washington
and Harrisburg are available through LHU’s affiliation with The Harrisburg Internship
Semester (THIS) and The Washington Center (TWC). LHU students have also interned with:
- The Office of the Governor
- Pennsylvania State Legislature
- Political Campaigns
- Law Firms
- Non-profit Agencies
- The Harrisburg Internship Semester (THIS): Each semester, through its membership in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), LHU sends one student to participate in THIS. The program includes an internship with a high-level state government office and a public policy seminar through PASSHE.
- The Washington Center (TWC): This independent, nonprofit organization provides selected students challenging opportunities
to work and learn in Washington, D.C. LHU students have interned through TWC with
the following agencies and organizations:
- Martha's Table
- National Republican Senatorial Committee
- Law Media Group
- S. Department of Justice, Office of International Affairs
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Careers: While most political science graduates pursue careers in law, politics, and public
service, our major prepares you for a variety of careers. Recent graduates have gained
- Legislative Staffers
- Intelligence Officers
- Federal Contract Specialists
- Political Organizers
- Facilities: Faculty deliver courses in technology-enhanced classrooms with vast multimedia capabilities. Students can access open computer labs and campus wireless network when using personally-owned devices. Students can request technology resources from Stevenson Library, Media Services.