Specialty Housing Options

Housing Options for Diverse Needs

Lock Haven University provides specialty housing options within our on-campus residence halls not only to best meet our students’ needs, but to provide students with the residential experience that truly feels like a home-away-from-home.

Pet-Friendly Housing

Students now can bring their furry friend to campus with them when they choose to live in our designated pet-friendly residence halls. One cat, one dog OR two small caged animals (gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs and rabbits) per residential room is permitted on campus in any academic year. For the 2022-2023 academic year, Smith Hall and Campus Village apartments are designated as pet-friendly. 

Pets Permitted Under the Pet-Friendly Housing Policy

  • Cat
  • Dog (weighing less than 40-pounds, breed restrictions apply)
  • Rabbit
  • Hamster
  • Gerbil
  • Guinea Pig
  • Fish (permitted in all residence halls)

Dogs and cats must be at least six (6) months of age and must have been owned by the student or the student’s family for at least three (3) months prior to applying. In addition to selecting a room in a designated pet-friendly residence hall during housing selection, students must complete the Pet Friendly Residence Hall Registration Packet and receive final approval from Student and Residence Life.  Please email housing@lockhaven.edu to request a registration packet. 


Gender-Inclusive Housing

Recognizing that single-gender housing may not be preferred by all students, Housing & Residence Life has established residential spaces not defined by the traditional gender binary (male and female). Students selecting Gender Inclusive Housing may choose a roommate, suitemate, or apartment mate from across the gender spectrum regardless of biological sex.

Gender inclusive housing may be of interest to:

  • Members of the LGBTQ+ community and allies
  • Students who are exploring their gender identity
  • Students who are gender non-conforming
  • Students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender identity

Residence Halls with designated gender inclusive housing:

  • Smith Hall - Students share double bedrooms and a communal semi-private bathroom designated as gender-inclusive.
  • Fairview Suites – In a shared suite, two students share a common bedroom and in-suite bathroom. In a private suite, two students share a common area and in-suite bathroom with separate bedrooms.  
  • Campus Village – Two students share a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment (upperclassmen only)

Gender-Inclusive Housing is not intended for romantic couples, but rather for students seeking to live in an open and inclusive community. It is important for students to understand that romantic relationship challenges and break-ups can pose significant housing conflicts and new accommodations cannot be guaranteed.


Double-as-Single or Single Housing

Students seeking the privacy of their own room combined with the connections and community of a residence hall can choose a Double-as-Single room - a double room designed to house two students but reserved for only one. All of the standard double room furniture (e.g. two beds, two desks, etc.) will remain in the double-as-single for the entire academic year.

Residence Halls with the Double-as-a- Single option:

  • Double-as-Single in Smith Hall
  • Double-as-Single in Fairview Suites (shared suites only)
  • Double-as-Single apartment in Campus Village (upperclassmen only)

Students interested in the independent living of Campus Village’s apartments but don’t want the responsibility of a standard apartment can also select a Campus Village Efficiency, which is a single apartment designed to house only one student. The number of Double-as-Singles and efficiency apartments is limited and subject to availability.


International Roommate

Students seeking to explore cultures and life experiences different from their own can request an international student as their roommate. International students may be exchange students attending LHU for one or two semester only, or be degree-seeking students here until they graduate. International students typically are housed in either Smith Hall or Woolridge Hall. 

Because the number of new international students changes from year to year, students are unable to request a specific country of origin and are not guaranteed to be assigned an international roommate. Please email housing@lockhaven.edu for more information. 

 Contact Us

Contact Housing & Residence Life

219 Ulmer Hall
(570) 484-2317

Office Hours

8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday

Connect with Housing & Residence Life Online

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube