Military Educational Benefits

Military Educational Benefits

Military Educational Benefits

As a veteran, eligible dependent, or reservist you may be able to receive entitlement funding based upon a service obligation. The Financial Aid Office of Lock Haven University makes every effort to ensure that service members receive all educational benefits they are entitled to.

Those students who have served in active duty as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces division and who were discharged under any condition other than dishonorable would be considered a veteran. These students should answer “Yes” to the question on the FAFSA asking if the student is a veteran. Also, the student will need to provide a copy of their DD214 to the Financial Aid Office to verify their veteran status in order to process federal aid.

Military Educational Benefits FAQ


ProgramsApplication Process

Application Process for Veteran Education Benefits

In order to certify your enrollment to the Veteran Affair's Office, the Financial Aid Office will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility letter. This letter is different from Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)

In order to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, please visit

  • Once on this page, click on “Apply for Educational Benefits”;
  • Click on the dropdown box in the middle of the page and select the applicable radial button;
  • Click next at the bottom of the page;
  • Continue completing each page and clicking next until you’ve received a confirmation page that you’ve successfully completed the application process;
  • Once that is completed, you will receive your Certificate of Eligibility in the mail; and
  • Bring that document to LHU’s Financial Aid Office with your LHU Student ID number on it.

Please make sure to fully complete and submit the application to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), along with all supporting documents. Supporting documents can be submitted to the VA by uploading them to a computer and attaching them to the application; by mailing them to the VA Regional Office at the address on the confirmation page received after submission of the application; or by faxing them to the VA Regional Office at (716) 857-3296.

After successfully applying online, and being approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. Please submit a copy of your online application and Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid office in 223 Ulmer Hall, or fax to (570) 484-2918. Keep in mind that the processing time at the VA can run as long as six to eight weeks, and even longer during peak processing times.

When your enrollment is certified you will receive an automated email from the VA.

PLEASE NOTE: If you add/drop classes, completely withdraw, or decide not to attend a semester, please notify the Financial Aid Office immediately. Also, if you make ANY changes to your schedule (adding classes/dropping classes) you need to notify the Financial Aid Office of these changes.

For other information, including questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or by e-mail at You may also find answers to many of your questions on the GI Bill website at

Application Process for EAP

If you are already a member of the Pennsylvania National Guard, contact the readiness NCO (Noncommissioned Officer) at your unit of assignment. The whole application process is completed through NCO and LHU will be notified of your eligibility when the semester begins.

Application Process for FTA

The application for FTA is available on LHU will be notified only once during the semester who is eligible for FTA. Applications for FTA need to be completed before the start of the semester. Please submit a copy of your approval to the Financial Aid Office. Once the funds have been received, the student will receive an email indicating a change to their financial aid and should check their MyHaven account for more details.

Payment Information

Payment Information

Application Percentage:

Chapter 31 - VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E): You may check the status of your application by calling the VA at 1-800-827-1000.

All Other Chapters: You may check the status of your application by calling the VA at 1-888-GIBILL 1 (1-888-442-4551), e-mailing the VA at, or by using the “Submit a Question” feature on the VA website at .

Payment Information:

Current pay rates for VA Education Benefits are available at . The rates are subject to change every October 1st, as approved by the federal government. The amount of your VA Education Benefits will be based on the type of benefit you are eligible for, the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled, and the current pay rates.

Please note: All students receiving Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 benefits must verify their attendance each month to ensure continued payment of benefits. Attendance is verified through the VA’s Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) site at . If your enrollment has changed during the month, you must verify your enrollment through the WAVE program AND notify the Financial Aid Office.

Please note: you will verify the prior month's enrollment.  For example, on or after September 30th, you will verify September attendance. 

Other Aid Available

Other Aid Available

FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid):

All students are eligible to file a FAFSA and receive State and Federal Aid, if they qualify, even if they are also receiving Veterans Benefits. Please make sure to file your FAFSA each year by Lock Haven University's recommended filing date of March 15th. You can file your FAFSA at

Educational Gratuity Program:

The Educational Gratuity program provides financial assistance to children of honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities and served during a period of war or armed conflict, or children of veterans who die or died in service during a period of war or armed conflict. The child must be between the ages of 16 and 23, living within the Commonwealth five years prior to application, and must attend a school within the Commonwealth. Please contact the County Veterans Affairs Director in the county you reside to apply for this program.

College Credit for Military Training:

LHU students who have a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) may qualify for a maximum of 3.0 semester hours of elective credit.  In addition, students who have completed certain military learning programs may qualify for college credit. Please contact the LHU Registrar's Office, 226 Ulmer Hall, for assistance.

Withdrawal Checklist

Military Withdrawal from School Checklist

If circumstances make it impossible for you to finish out the semester and you need to withdraw from the University, please consult with your academic advisor, the Enrollment Management Specialist, and the Financial Aid Office. Students who wish to withdraw from the University must complete an official withdrawal with the Office of Enrollment Management.  An exit interview is strongly encouraged.

  • If you receive Military Education Benefits, notify the LHU VA Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office that you have withdrawn. When you decide to return to school, contact the LHU VA Certifying Official again to restart your Military Education Benefit payments.
  • Depending on the date of withdrawal, a withdrawal may affect your financial aid and could result in you owing the money to the University.  Check with the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible.
  • Check with the Financial Aid Office to determine the impact of the withdrawal on the satisfactory academic progress requirements for receiving financial aid the semester you re-enroll.
  • Make sure you have information about your student loans. Student loans can be hard to keep track of, especially if you have attended different schools or used different lenders or loan programs. Review your records, contact your school(s), and locate all your student loans.  The following links may be helpful in gathering your loan information:;
  • Complete required exit counseling sessions for student loans before you leave school or drop below half-time enrollment. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.
  • Contact your student loan lender(s). It is your responsibility to follow through with any procedure the lender recommends.
  • Keep a record of names, dates, individuals, and a brief summary of your conversations with your school and lending institution(s).
  • Be mindful of financial aid deadlines. If you plan to return to LHU for the fall or spring semester, complete the FAFSA by March 15th of the spring semester prior to your return.
  • If you are finishing the current semester, but not planning to return for the next semester, you will complete the Change of Enrollment Status online form.
  • When you are able to resume your studies at Lock Haven University, complete a Request to Resume Studies Form.
Isakson & Roe Compliance

Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315

Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020, adds new requirements for educational institutions participating in the educational assistance programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These new provisions became effective June 15, 2021 and will apply to Institutions of Higher Learning and Non-College Degree institutions beginning August 1, 2021. Many of the requirements are consistent with the requirements of the Principles of Excellence, currently in Executive Order 13607; however, there are requirements in addition to those embodied in the Principles of Excellence which schools must also satisfy to maintain approval for GI Bill® participation.

Estimated total cost of the course that includes tuition, fees, books, supplies and any other additional costs.
Estimated cost of living expenses.
Other types of Federal financial aid, not administered by VA that is offered by the institution, that the individual may be qualified to receive.
Estimated amount of student loan debt the individual would have upon graduation.
Information regarding graduation rates.
Information regarding the acceptance of transfer credits including military credits.
The ‘Paying for College’ Web Page

This site can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid award information. The tool can be accessed at:

The College Scorecard

A consumer planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school. The College Scorecard is located at:

The College Navigator

A consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool. The College Navigator is located at:

The Net Price Calculator

By completing our Net Price Calculator, you will be able to estimate your costs to attend Mason, as well as explore the grants, scholarships, and other aid programs you may be eligible to receive. The Net Price Calculator is located at:

GI Bill® Comparison Tool

A helpful tool to explore the right fit for your educational goal and benefits use. The tool is located at:



Contact Financial Aid Office

223 Ulmer Hall, Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, PA 17745
(570) 484-2424


Connect with Financial Aid Online

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube