Dr. Michael Porter
The Masters of Health Science (MHS) degree is a 36 credit program with an emphasis on Healthcare Management. The program can be completed 100% online in one year with full time enrollment or can be spread out for multiple years with part time enrollment depending on your unique situation.
Health Science is broadly defined as the study and research of selected components of health and healthcare. The Master of Health Science is an advanced degree in the area of Health Science which focuses healthcare administration and leadership.
WHY A MASTERS IN HEALTH SCIENCE?
- US Department of Labor Statistics report a growth rate of 15% for Medical & Health Services Managers (2014-2024)
- US Department of Labor Statistics report a growth rate of 12% for Health Educators, 10% Social/Community Service Managers, and 15% for Community Health Workers (2014-2024)
WHY OUR PROGRAM?
- 100% online
- Flexible course schedule and course sequence designed to minimize work conflicts
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Culminating experience in the final semester (Capstone or Advanced Field Experience) aligns with the student’s career and professional goals
Health Care Management Concentration
The Healthcare Management concentration focuses on areas of leadership, organizational behavior, finance, ethics, and informatics. As a graduate you will be equipped to enter management positions in a variety of health-care settings in this fast-growing and evolving industry.
In addition to the five core classes, you will complete an additional 15 required credits which will include one elective course. Course sequence can be customized to match your unique needs . You may transfer up to 9 related graduate credits into the Master of Health Science Program. The program course work concludes with an Advanced Field Experience/Capstone/Thesis (6 credits). Topics covered include:
- Applied Leadership in Healthcare
- Ethical Trends in Healthcare
- Assessment, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation and Management of Health Programs
Application Process and Deadlines
Successful admission to the MHS program will be determined based on several factors including successful completion of academic prerequisites, academic ability, evidence of ability to work with people, and letters of recommendation.
Applicants must have achieved a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited
institution. In addition, they must complete an application for admission to the
program which include official transcripts from all institutions attended, letters
of recommendations, and a personal mission statement. Completed applications will
be reviewed by the admissions committee of the program.
To earn candidacy into the MHS degree students must successfully complete 12 credits,
maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0/4.0 and successfully complete program
requirements within each concentration.
- Grade point average of 3.0/4.0
- Successful completion of program requirements/ artifacts within selected concentration
- Successful completion of a degree plan
- 100% Online Delivery: LHU’s distance instructional methods are designed to maintain a personal, one-to-one mentoring and supervisory relationship with degree candidates while making it possible to create active and engaged learning communities. No campus visits or on-campus residencies are required; however, you will be invited to campus to attend special MHS events and to present your research throughout your program.
The majority of the coursework is completed via virtual classrooms utilizing the latest technology in online instruction.
- Advanced Field Experiences: a culminating experience that demands an advanced degree of preparation, initiative and responsibility. Supervision is provided by both university faculty and a professional in the field of healthcare or health education. Field work is completed within hospitals and health and human service agencies.
- Capstone Project: serves to verify the candidate’s ability to demonstrate skill in research development, as well as the collection, management, analysis, interpretation and dissemination of data. All capstone projects are designed and completed under the supervision of a capstone supervisor.
- Careers: Recent graduates are employed in the following careers:
- Department Director
- Hospital Administrator
- Clinic Manager