What You'll Study
This track will prepare you for entry into a variety of professional programs. Recent graduates have earned advanced degrees in medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, and other allied-health professions. It also prepares you for employment in health-related fields such as sales within the pharmaceutical or surgical/medical equipment industries.
You and your advisor will develop an individualized plan of study focused on your professional goals. Field experiences such as working in a local clinic or observing surgery at a hospital, will give you valuable experiences to prepare for graduate study. Topics covered include:
- Introduction to Disease
- Advanced Anatomy
- Health Psychology
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Field Experience: As a Health Science major you will be required to complete a professional field experience that serves as a culminating experience linking academic preparedness to an experience that matches your career goals and aspirations.
- Professional Preparation: The Pre-Professional track will provide you with the academic background needed for entry into a variety of graduate school programs.
For example, recent graduates have earned advanced degrees in:
- And other allied-health professions
It also provides preparation for employment in health related fields such as sales within the pharmaceutical or surgical/medical equipment industries.
- Facilities: Lock Haven University provides exceptional, state-of-the-art facilities for the Health Science program. There are athletic training facilities, an exercise physiology lab, rehabilitation center, and gross human anatomy (cadaver dissection) lab.
- Health Science Club: The Health Science Club is dedicated to engaging the entire LHU and surrounding community in health awareness and health improvement activities. We have over 200 members and are open to all LHU students, but primarily consist of Health Science majors. The club participates in various activities around campus and the community including:
- The Hunger Bowl for Hunger Awareness Month
- Pink Ribbon Sales for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Community Clinics and Health Fairs
- LHU Adopt a Family Christmas Project
- Relay for Life
- LHU Health Fair
- Field trips to the Bodies Exhibition in New York