"The Body Electric"
Conference Details & Highlights
When: Friday, March 23, 2018
Where: Lock Haven University
Registration: Conference Registration is $25 for the one-day conference and includes a light breakfast and a luncheon with keynote speakers authors Catherine Zobal Dent and Silas Dent Zobal. Register Here
- Public Reading for Early Arrivals - Join us on March 22 at 7:00 p.m. in the Parsons Union Building Multipurpose Room (LHU Campus, AKA: PUB MPR) for a public reading by keynote speakers, Catherine Zobal Dent and Silas Dent Zobal, who will read from their collections of fiction and creative nonfiction.
- Registration - 8:00 - 2:30 PUB, Rm. 2
- Book Table for Consignment Sale - 8:00 - 3:00, Representatives from the LHU Bookstore will help with the consignment sales of books and chapbooks by participating faculty and students. Please feel free to bring copies of your books with you.
- Literary Magazine Display - 8:00 - 4:00 PUB, Rm. 2
- Concurrent Session 1 - 8:30 - 9:45 PUB, Rms. 1, 3, 4
- Concurrent Session 2 - 10:00 - 11:15 PUB, Rms. 1, 3, 4
- Lunch - 11:30 - 1:00 PUB, Rm. 2
- Keynote Address - “Others’ Electricities: Art of the Shared Life” March 23 at 12:15-1:00, PUB, Rm. 2 Catherine Zobal Dent and Silas Dent Zobal will deliver the keynote address during lunch in the PUB, Room 2, which will serve as conference headquarters throughout the day. Dent and Zobal, who are married and teach at the Writers Institute at Susquehanna University, will present on “living a life of the arts while balancing writing, teaching, and raising a family.”
- Concurrent Session 3 - 1:15 - 2:30 PUB, Rms. 1, 2, 4, Eagle Wing
- Concurrent Session 4 - 2:45 - 4:00 PUB, Rms. 1, 3, 4
- Round Table Discussion of Campus Literary Magazines - In the final session from 4:15-5:15 in the PUB Room 2, we invite participants to bring copies of their campus literary magazines to share and to swap insights about their processes, challenges, and triumphs in assembling the magazine. This session will be led by Ellora Figured, one of the current editors of LHU’s The Crucible.
Catherine Zobal Dent is a fiction writer, translator, and educator. Her debut collection Unfinished Stories of Girls was published in 2014 with Fomite Press, and she won a 2015 French Voices Award for her work in literary translation. She currently serves on the Faculty Advisory Board of FUSE National, and she directs the Common Reading Program as well as the Summer Writers Workshop at Susquehanna University, sharing the position of Associate Professor in the Department of English and Creative Writing with her spouse, writer Silas Dent Zobal. For more information, see catherinezobaldent.com
Silas Dent Zobal is the award-winning author of The Inconvenience of the Wings—a story collection—and a novel, The People of the Broken Neck. His stories and essays appear in Glimmer Train, LitHub, The Missouri Review, North American Review, Shenandoah, and many others. He lives in Freeburg, PA, with Catherine, his two children, two dogs, two cats, and three chickens, and—sometimes—thousands and thousands of bees. For more information, see www.silasdentzobal.com
- Fairfield Inn and Suites, 570-748-1580, 50 Spring St., Lock Haven, PA, 17745
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the group rate of $99 for conference goers who arrive on March 22. Make sure to mention the 2018 EAPSU Spring Conference to get the reduced rate. This hotel is closest to campus.
- Best Western, 570-748-3297, 101 E. Walnut St, Lock Haven, PA, 17745
Upon receiving your registration, we will email your parking permit and instructions for where to park. We will have passes on hand for onsite registrants.