Every year the Criminal Justice Department at Lock Haven University brings in a number of guest speakers and job recruiters to talk to current students. These include local agencies and state agencies such as the PA State Police, out of state agencies such as the Ocean City Police, and federal agencies such as US Customs and Border Protection.
During the 2017-18 academic year, the Criminal Justice Department has had 12 Lock Haven University alumni come back to speak to students. They included:
- Ted Hubler (’02 criminal justice), State College Police Department – Presentation in freshman seminar.
- Brendt Coyle (’13 criminal justice), US Park Service – Department presentation.
- Kayla Bowman (’12 criminal justice), SCI Rockview psychological services specialist – Presentation in community corrections.
- Beth Birch (’14 sociology and criminal justice), The Abuse Network – Presentation in women and crime.
- Abbey Haldeman (’14 criminal justice) and Regina Shawley (’09 psychology), Clinton County Correctional Facility – Presentation in women and crime.
- Kaylyn Walker (’15 criminal justice) and Katie Pratt (’11 criminal justice), Clinton County Probation and Parole – Presentation in women and crime.
- Jen Bottorf (’04 psychology), Clinton County victim witness coordinator – Presentation in women and crime.
- Allyson Gates (’14 criminal justice), Sierra Saunders (’17 social work), Clinton County Children and Youth Services – Presentation in women and crime.
- Mike Grassmyer (’96 sociology), Abraxas Youth Center, South Mountain – Presentation in juvenile justice.
“It is extremely beneficial to our current students to hear about alumni successes,” said Dr. Katie Ely, associate professor and Criminal Justice Department chair at LHU. “In addition, students learn about various career opportunities and are connected with practitioners in the field prior to graduation.”
The Criminal Justice Department looks forward to continued visits and presentations from alumni to enhance the educational experiences of current students.
Sign-up for LHU’s new monthly newsletter, LHU & You, to get all of your updates on The Haven and the Lock Haven community. Click here to sign up
Lock Haven University is a member of Pennsylvania’s State System, the largest provider of higher education in the Commonwealth. Its 14 universities offer more than 2,300 degree and certificate programs in more than 530 academic areas of study. Nearly 520,000 system alumni live and work in Pennsylvania.
Questions About the Article?
Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations
Contact our Admissions Office
8:00am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday