Because the weather forecast includes a high probability of drenching rain during the Lock Haven University commencement exercises scheduled for 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 13, in Hubert Jack Stadium, the University is implementing the following contingency plan.
The commencement exercises are moved to Thomas Field House, where two separate ceremonies will take place:
10:00 a.m. Ceremony 1: Graduates’ last names beginning with A through L
12:00 noon Ceremony 2: Graduates’ last names beginning with M through Z
Instructions for Students:
- Rehearsal on Friday, May 12 will be Thomas Field House instead of the stadium. Doors open at 11:00 to pick up tickets, name card and/or honors cords with rehearsal beginning at noon.
Day of Ceremony:
- Doors for Thomas Field House will open at 8:30 a.m. for Ceremony 1 (A-L) only.
- Graduates and their guests for the Ceremony 2 (M-Z) are encouraged to come after 11:00 a.m. for the second ceremony. Seating for Ceremony 2 (M-Z) will begin at approximately 11:30. Graduates and their guests may wait in the Parsons Union Building (PUB) for Ceremony 2 (M-Z).
- You must show your name card and be attired in your cap and gown to enter the building. Prior to the start of the 10:00 a.m. or 12 noon ceremony, graduates should enter through the upper level doors of Thomas Field House and proceed down the steps where staff will direct you to rows of seating reserved for you on the main floor. You must arrive at least 5 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony in order to participate. If you have a disability that precludes you from descending the steps, you may enter through entrance on the lower level.
- When graduates are asked to stand for the conferral of degrees, ALL degrees will be called and ALL graduates will rise. After the President has conferred your degrees you will be invited to move your tassel from right to left and be seated.
- The Marshals will release you by row for roll call. You will hand your card to the reader, walk to the President, who will shake your hand and hand you your diploma cover, and then proceed to have your photo taken and return to your seat.
- At the end of the ceremony, remain standing at your seats for the Marshals to release you row by row to exit. Do not wait for your parents and guests in the Field House; proceed out the doors and plan to meet them outside or in the DACC, where the Alumni Reception will be held following each ceremony.
Instructions for parents/guests:
- Handicap parking only is available at Thomas Field House, Campus Circle Drive and the Akeley Hall parking lots. All others should park in Zimmerli, Rec Center and Willis Health Professions lots. There will not be trolley or bus service from the parking lots.
- In the event that there isn’t enough handicap parking for the second ceremony, guests should park at the Parsons Union Building (PUB). Handicap accommodations will be made by exiting the lower level of PUB and handicap guests will be picked up and dropped off by the LHU trolley at the accessible door at Thomas Field House.
- You must have a ticket to enter Thomas Field House. Overflow seating, not requiring a ticketing, will be available in Price Auditorium (doors open at 8:30), where a live webcast of the ceremonies will be shown. The PUB will also have the ceremony streaming live.
- Doors for the first ceremony will open at 8:30 a.m. Guests will be admitted through the entrance at the lower level of Thomas Field House. Staff will direct you to seating in the bleachers. Guests with mobility handicap will be directed to a section reserved for you on the floor of the Field House.
- Participants and guests for the second ceremony will wait in the Parsons Union Building (PUB) until the first ceremony is completed and graduates and guests have vacated the field house (approximately 11:30 a.m.).
- Photos may be taken from your seat only. Do not try to go to the floor of the Field House to take photos and please be considerate of guests around you when taking photos from your seat.
- No balloons or large objects will be allowed in the Field House.
At the end of the ceremony, do not try to meet your graduate in the Field House. Instead, exit the building through any of the exits and meet your graduate outside or in the DACC, where the Alumni Affairs Reception will be held.
Questions About the Article?
Executive Director of Communications and Community Relations
Contact our Admissions Office
8:00am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday